Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is only one my family wants, a deliciously creamy cheese sauce with an old-fashioned bread cube topping. I triple the bread crumb topping as there never seems to be enough of that!
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated (reserve 1/3 cup for topping)
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- Under cook elbows; oven baking will finish the cooking process.
- In double boiler melt butter and add flour, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir in milk and cook until smooth and creamy. Add grated cheese and stir until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth.
- Turn macaroni and finely chopped onion into casserole and pour cheese sauce over all. Toss well to coat. Top with rest of cheese.
- Toss bread with melted butter and sprinkle over all.
- Bake uncovered for 20 min @ 400°.
Simple, delicious, creamy, cheesy and awesome. Thanks so much for sharing!
i will never make macaroni and cheese from a packet again. i used spiral pasta & pene as i didn't have elbow macaroni and it was really good. made for RECIPE SWAP #31 - August 2009.
Very good. I used 1 lb. of processed cheese cut into small cubes, plus several handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese. I also used 2 T. of flour when making the roux. The texture of the finished dish tasted a little grainy to me, not smooth and creamy - but that may have been from the cheddar cheese. The flavor was excellent, though. Made for ZWT4.