This is a great recipe as either a side dish or as the main meal. Switch up the type of pasta and cheeses you use to suit your taste and preference. Cooking/Prepping time includes pasta.
- 12 ounces pasta (I've used elbow, twists, and shells before)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 12 ounces shredded cheese, I usually use colby monterey jack and pepper jack mixed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (for last 15 minutes of cooking) (optional)
- Boil your pasta- 9-12 minutes, until tender but still firm, drain well.
- For the cheese sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter then stir in flour and pepper.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Stir in drained pasta and sour cream.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- If desired, during the last 15 minutes, top the dish with shredded cheese.