Recipe by NanaD
This is the macaroni & cheese that I grew up on. It's still my favorite. I like the cheese on top crispy. It is almost like Anthony Bourdain's mom made. Hope you enjoy it too.
Top Review by bmcnichol
This was good and just like my mom use to make. I did cut back to three cups of milk and would cut it down to two cups next time. I didn't measure the salt and pepper. Mine took over an hour to cook. I made this grilled sausage and we all enjoyed it.
- 1 lb shell macaroni (large or medium shells)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook shells in boiling water until barely al-dente.
- Drain well.
- Heat oven to 400 deg.F and grease a 13 x 9 inches baking dish.
- Put about 1/3 of the shells in prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt, pepper and 1/3 of the cheese. Dot with 1/ tbsp butter. Repeat layers twice more, ending with the remaining cheese. Don't push down on the shells or it will make it too dense. Pour milk over top.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how crisp you like the top.