Recipe by JulieDRD
This is the recipe I have been using for years now. It comes from the Family Circle Cookbook. I have tried making this with less margarine but it just doesn't taste the same.
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni or 1 (8 ounce) package shell macaroni or 1 (8 ounce) packageother small macaroni noodles
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter (for sauce) or 2 tablespoons margarine (for sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs, 2 slices
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted, for crumb topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir macaroni into a large saucepan of boiling salted water; cook, stirring often, just until it is tender; drain.
- Spoon macaroni into an 8-cup baking dish.
- Make sauce:
- Saute onion in butter or margarine about 1 minute, blend in flour, Worcestershire sauce and salt, cook, stirring constantly, just until bubbly.
- Stir in milk; cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and bubbles 3 minutes, stir in cheese until melted.
- Pour over macaroni, then mix inches.
- Combine the bread crumbs and butter or margarine; sprinkle in a ring on top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until the center is bubbly hot and the crumbs are toasty and golden.