Recipe by JoAnn Rachor
Large Macaroni with lots of cheese sauce that "squirts" when you eat it.
Top Review by lehaushe
Yum! I went through a number of recipes for baked macaroni and cheese that were too greasy or too runny or just not right. But this one's perfect, and DH loves it! Extra sharp cheddar is a good option for the cheese.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces uncooked large macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook Macaroni and drain.
- Add the butter and flour in a large sauce pan and cook over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add the chicken broth.
- Add half and half and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Add cheese and stir until it melts.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add macaroni and fold.
- Pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Options: You can add ham, broccoli, and top with bread crumbs or parmesan cheese.