Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A stupidly simple recipe that you'll love.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 lb rotelle pasta
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 14 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated coarse
- 1⁄2 cup freshly-grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup coarse fresh breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat and stir in flour and paprika; cook roux, whisking, 3-4 minutes; take off heat and whisk in milk, cream and salt; put back onto heat and bring sauce to a boil, whisking, and simmer, whisking occasionally, 3-4 minutes; remove pan from heat.
- Cook pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water until al dente; drain pasta, empty back into pot it was cooked in and stir together with sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 2½ cups of the grated Cheddar and the Parmesan; transfer to prepared dish.
- In a small bowl, toss remaining cheddar with bread crumbs and melted butter and sprinkle over pasta mixture; bake mac and cheese in middle of oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling, and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Very good mac and cheese recipe. I used shell pasta and that is the only difference I made. I though it was a little too heavy, but tasty. Thanks Evelyn!