Adapted from Prairie Home Cooking. This is the way my Mother used to make macaroni and cheese. The pasta measurement is the measurement for the dried pasta.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring water to a boil; cook macaroni to al dente stage according to package directions.
- Drain well.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper and paprika and remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Spread half the macaroni over the bottom of a lightly greased 1 quart baking dish.
- Spread half the remaining cheese over the macaroni.
- Top with remaining macaroni.
- Pour sauce over the macaroni.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.