Recipe by Marz
This is a healthier version of mac & cheese, and there is broccoli in this dish adding a bit more of fiber.
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into bite size florets and stalks peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lb whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped shallot (about 3)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large pot with water to reach a depth of 2 inches and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and cook one minute; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and add the broccoli in an even layer.
- Fill the same pot with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente; drain.
- Position the rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. In the same pot melt 2 TBSP butter over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring until softened, 3 to 4 minutes Stir in the flour for 1 minute. Whisk in 1 cup more. Whisk the cornstarch into the remaining 11/2 cups milk, then whisk the mixture into the pot. Simmer, whisking until sauce thickens 2 to 3 minutes. Lower the heat and stir in the cheddar and 4 TBSP parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the pasta. Spoon the mixture over the broccoli.
- In a small heat proof bowl, combine the garlic and remaining 1/2 tbsp butter; microwave on high power until melted, about 20 seconds. Stir in the bread crumbs, the remaining 2 tbsp parmesan cheese and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Discard the garlic then sprinkle the bread crumbs mixture over the pasta. Bake until golden about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.