Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an extravagant version of mac and cheese, but the indulgence is well worth it!
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 7 ounces brie cheese, rind removed,and cut into chunks
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crackers or 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a medium casserole dish and set aside.
- Boil pasta until al dente.
- While pasta cooks, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring continuously for 2 minutes, to form a golden brown roux.
- Stir in milk and cream.
- Bring to a boil, stirring continuously, then reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese and continue to stir until melted and smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in drained pasta, combine very well, making sure the sauce soaks the pasta thoroughly.
- Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Stir together bread or cracker crumbs with 3 tablespoons melted butter.
- Sprinkle evenly over pasta.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
This is a great base recipe! I had a lot of brie I needed to use up and wasn't really sure where to start with a brie mac. I ended up only having almond milk in the fridge so I used that in place of the milks. Sautéed some garlic and onion for the sauce and made homemade bread crumbs with tarragon. Last alteration I used shell noodles. I'm very pleased with how it all turned out!
I love brie and I love mac and cheese, so naturally I wanted to try this. I really enjoyed it, but the brie does make this a bit bland. Overall, you really can't taste the brie, it is more like a nice creamy noodle dish. The best part is the cracker topping. This really makes it taste awesome. I will use cracker crumbs instead of breadcrumbs when I make mac n cheese in the future, tastes really rich and decadently buttery! If I make this again I will probably reduce the amount of brie and add a little cheddar, something with a bolder taste.
I added some broccoli which I need to use up and also 1/2 onion, chopped, because I felt the sauce will be too bland otherwise. However I feel the sauce is still a bit bland, and I did add lot of salt and pepper.. lol. It was not bad, anyway. Glad I tried. Thanks!