Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my Grandmother Lewis's Mac/Cheese recipe. We miss her dearly but think of her everytime "my" mother makes this. I hope you love it as much as we do.
- 2 cups macaroni
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded or 3 cups Velveeta cheese
- salt & pepper
- Cook cups of macaroni; drain, cool and set aside.
- Mix together: 3 eggs, 2 cups milk, salt & pepper and 2 cups grated cheese (save 1 cup of cheese for top).
- Add macaroni to above mixture.
- Put in casserole dish and dot with butter.
- Add remaining grated cheese on top.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly.
This was so simple to make and tasted very good. I used a high end aged cheddar cheese instead of the recommended cheese, so I had to add a bit of salt to bring out the flavor but beside that this was very good. My husband agrees.
it's mac and cheese...hit the craving, but it came out very watery, even after an hour in the oven
This was really tasty, but wasn't a "creamy" Mac&Cheese ... it had a firmer texture, probably due to the eggs. I did make a few "minor" adjustments that may also have contributed to the texture - I used whole wheat macaroni and pre-cooked it to 1 min less than al dente. I used 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper, and also added 1 tsp dry mustard. I mixed 1 cup 5 yr old white cheddar and 1 cup "light" aged cheddar on the inside, and put 1 cup of the light cheddar on top. I also added about a cup of thawed frozen peas/corn. If I have more time next time, I might try the method of making a roux on the stovetop first, but this recipe is very user friendly as written, and came in very handy when I needed a quick put-together make-ahead dish to leave for the babysitter to feed my kids! Thanks for posting.