2 hrs 35 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
St. Patrick's Day is an appropriate time to prepare a Limerick Ham with a splash of Jameson Whiskey on the side and give thanks for all that you have, remembering to give to those that have not, as the war against world hunger and famine remains to be waged every day. This is what will be served on our family dinner table this St. Patrick's Day, and I would feel most honoured if you would join me in giving thanks and in tucking into a delicious fat Limerick Ham to celebrate the occasion.
My Private Note
heck of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1For an Alcohol-free version, substitute a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and water for the cider.
- 2Cover the ham with cold water and bring slowly to the boil.
- 3Drain the water and replace it with the cider and return the ham to just before boiling.
- 4Reduce the heat and keep the liquid barely simmering for 20 minutes per pound of ham.
- 5(A 5-lb. ham is simmered for 1½ hours.) Remove the kettle with the ham from heat and allow to stand in the liquid for 30 minutes.
- 6Remove the ham from the liquid, skin it and score the fat with a sharp knife in a criss-cross, or diamond pattern.
- 7Stud the ham with whole cloves at the points where the cross-cut pattern intersect.
- 8Mix the brown sugar and mustard together and rub well into the surface of the ham.
- 9Bake in a pre-heated oven for an additional 10 minutes per pound at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 10(A 5-lb. ham should be baked 50 minutes.) Serve warm with plain boiled potatoes and brussels sprouts.
- 11Oh, and a shot of Jameson Irish Whiskey (optional).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Limerick Ham (Serves Many)
Serving Size: 1 (6 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 35.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: