Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a tradition in our household at Christmas. Goes great with ham.
- 1 lb dried lima beans
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter (Butter is best, but often I use half butter and half oleo) or 3⁄4 cup oleo (Butter is best, but often I use half butter and half oleo)
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup sour cream
- Soak Beans overnight, with plenty of water above the beans. They soak it up!
- In the morning, drain the beans, cover with water, add 1 tsp salt and cook until slightly tender -- 20-30 minutes. However, you must watch these babies, because they have a big tendency to boil over!Just bring them to a boil (watching them), then lower the heat --- and still watch them!
- After the beans are cooked, drain again and rinse them under hot water, and place them in a lightly sprayed or greased (oleo) casserole dish.
- Dab Butter over beans; mix "lightly"! or they get squishy.
- Stir in Molasses.
- Finally, pour in sour cream and mix "tenderly".
- Bake at 350 for one hour. (again, keep an eye on them, I don't think I usually bake them for and entire hour).
I had a few reservations but this is a stone cold winner. We served it with aBone in pork roast and a greek salad. Great paring. It is super easy and very different. Serve it with just about anything and get ready for happy family and guests. A real find!!!!!!