Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This almost borders on comfort food. It's simple, it's easy and it's delicious.
- 1 3⁄4 cups lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Combine lentils, water, spices, onions, garlic, and tomatoes in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and celery and bake, covered, for another 40 minutes.
- Stir in green pepper and parsley.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake, uncovered, for five minutes until cheese melts.
- For variation, put mashed potatoes on top in place of the cheese.
This is very good! I did a half recipe in a two quart baking dish. I made a minor change, I used homemade chicken broth instead of water, and left out some of the spices because they were already in the chicken broth. Next time I'd put in the celery in the beginning because I don't like it when celery is crunchy. Also, the instructions mention garlic but it's not in the ingredients, so I added a dash of garlic powder. This is very tasty, we love lentils, and this gives it that extra depth of flavor.
Yumm! Turned out great, except next time I will drain my canned tomatoes as it is a bit more liquid than what the lentils could absorb. This is really tasty. Served with home made flat bread. Makes a lot! Will make again for sure.
This was just excellent. I served it with a tortilla and added a bit of hot sauce. It was great. I used some of the leftovers for a brunch with friends the next day and it just as good reheated. And I was still able to freeze some for later!! Thanks Mirj