Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another great lentil dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 3⁄4 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped and include juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Add the oil to a saucepan over medium heat; let oil get heated.
- Add in onion, bell peppers, and garlic; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in stock, lentils, tomatoes, seasonings, and broccoli; cook, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle w/ parmesan cheese; cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Loved this lentil dish. Nice mingling of flavors. Had to cook 1 1/2 hours, so added the cheese during last 20 minutes.
Hearty and flavorful :) I added a bit of feta on top, 2/3 of the way through the baking. Yum!
Great recipe! The only change I made was having grated cheddar instead of parmesan on top of it. Obviously it will give the dish a taste that is more mild than with parmesan, but it was nice. We're definitely going to cook this again, and have it both as a main dish, and together with spicy chicken. Thanks so much for sharing! By the way: The seasoning was fantastic, I loved the combination of tarragon, curry and basil!