Recipe by AngelaTN
The herbs added to this casserole make it so flavorful. Add a salad and you've got a healthy, delicious, meat-free dinner. Also works great as a side item.
Top Review by pyke
I made this for dinner per directions and am happy to say that I have finally found a lentil dish every family member liked. I served it with a salad and fruit. I thought it had an Italian flavor and was easy to make. Thanks for the healthy and tasty recipe. I will make this again.
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 cups dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 10 ounces 2% milk cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine water, lentils, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, marjoram, sage, thyme and bay leaf in 13x9 casserole.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in tomatoes.
- Recover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.