Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
A delicious way to prepare chicken that any "lemon pepper" chicken seasoning doesn't come close to. Be aware: this recipe serves many.
- 54 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 thinly sliced garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme.
- Lay chicken pieces into a 11" x 13" baking pan. Sprinkle seasonings over chicken.
- Combine onions, stock, and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Heat to a boil.
- Pour hot lemon mixture around chicken.
- Slice lemon into thin circular slices. Top chicken piece with a lemon slice.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 400 F, until golden brown and juices are clear colored.
I liked the overall idea so I ran with it. I sauteed the onions in butter with a little garlic first instead of boiling it with the liquids. After the onions were translucent I then added lemon juice (1/2 cup instead of 1/4), the zest of one lemon, and chicken stock (which the recipe says add stock, but it's not in the ingredient list. I used 1/2 cup). I brought it to a boil then poured it over the chicken. I added fresh lemon slices. In a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes, they were a bit overcooked. I should have used a temperature probe. I drained the liquid, onions and lemons into a pan and reduced it. I added a little cornstarch to thicken it a bit. We spooned some of the sauce over the chicken and tossed the rest with cooked linguine. I was really surprised at how good it was. We like VERY lemony chicken though so my alterations are towards that flavor.
This was a moist tasty chicken dish. I served it with fresh steamed peas and pasta. I too cooked the onions and garlic a bit in butter before adding in the liquids to heat. I scaled the recipe back to two chicken breasts. It worked very well and my family gave it the "we can have this again" rating. I think I may have shorted the lemon juice a tiny bit. (Conversions are always your mileage may vary). We will be having this again.
Good. great flavor, I really enjoyed this. I didn't put the onions in it, we don't care for them. A recipe I would use again. Thanks.