This is the way that we make chicken strips because my kids love the really clean flavor of the chicken made this way. Initially the chicken is cleaned in lemon juice and marinated in a lemon-yogurt mix, so it's very moist. It's a bit more work than what you'd normally encounter with chicken strips, but it's well worth the effort for us. Preparation time does not include time to marinate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts (approximately 6 half breasts)
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (divided)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (unsweetened, I use greek or homemade)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers or 2 cups corn flake crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
- cooking spray
- 1Cut the chicken breast into strips (you'll wash them in a later step). Thicker strips will take a bit longer to bake.
- 2Put the chicken strips into a bowl and mix in 1/2 cup of lemon juice. With your hands, really mix the chicken with the lemon juice and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- 3Wash the chicken strips well, removing any membranes or fatty bits. Remove as much of the excess water and dry the strips.
- 4Put the chicken into a clean bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice and add the yogurt and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and put in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by spraying with cooking spray.
- 6Bread the chicken strips by dredging them in the crushed crackers or cornflake crumbs.
- 7Place the strips onto the baking pan and sprinkle lightly with the melted butter.
- 8Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through. Larger pieces might take longer to cook, smaller pieces might take less time.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Lemon and Yogurt Chicken Strips
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.6
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 88.1 mg
- Sodium 117.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 25.2 g