Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the way that we make chicken strips because my kids love the really clean flavor of the chicken made this way. Initially the chicken is cleaned in lemon juice and marinated in a lemon-yogurt mix, so it's very moist. It's a bit more work than what you'd normally encounter with chicken strips, but it's well worth the effort for us. Preparation time does not include time to marinate.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts (approximately 6 half breasts)
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice (divided)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (unsweetened, I use greek or homemade)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers or 2 cups corn flake crumbs
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
- cooking spray
- Cut the chicken breast into strips (you'll wash them in a later step). Thicker strips will take a bit longer to bake.
- Put the chicken strips into a bowl and mix in 1/2 cup of lemon juice. With your hands, really mix the chicken with the lemon juice and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Wash the chicken strips well, removing any membranes or fatty bits. Remove as much of the excess water and dry the strips.
- Put the chicken into a clean bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice and add the yogurt and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and put in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by spraying with cooking spray.
- Bread the chicken strips by dredging them in the crushed crackers or cornflake crumbs.
- Place the strips onto the baking pan and sprinkle lightly with the melted butter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked through. Larger pieces might take longer to cook, smaller pieces might take less time.
I halved this recipe. The lemon flavor was quite soft and mellow and I would have preferred more garlic. It didn't taste good warmed up the next day. The lemon flavor faded a lot and was soft to begin with. I will make it again, but with changes. Thanks for putting this up <3