Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love the idea of using a loaf of Foccacia bread for this brunch entree'! No fuss, no muss! If you do not have Meyer Lemon oil, you can combine lemon zest with olive oil or simply add lemon juice to oil. Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 large loaf focaccia bread
- 2 tablespoons meyer lemon olive oil, sub. 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil combined with 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 eggs, may use up to 4 eggs if you have a larger loaf of bread
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the top off the foccacia and hollow out the bread inside. Tear the top of the and the inside of focaccia bread into 1-inch pieces. Reserve bread pieces. You will combine with the egg mixture.
- Brush the inside of the foccacia with the Meyer lemon olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the basil, cheese, salt, pepper, and milk. Whisk lightly. Stir in up to 4 cups of the bread pieces.
- Scoop out the bread pieces & place in the loaf then carefully pour the egg mixture into the toasted foccacia loaf. You might have a bit of egg leftover.
- Return to the oven and bake until the eggs have cooked, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cut the baked foccacia into 6 to 8 pieces and serve immediately.
- Serve with fresh berries & melon slices.