Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
this is baked but the oil gives it that crispy fried taste--wonderful any time of the year.
- peel and quarter, then boil the potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes, let them cool.
- preheat oven to 400.
- mash potatoes, add eggs, onions, matzoh meal, salt, and pepper to taste and shape into pancakes.
- pour oil into baking dishes until 1/4" full.
- add latkes, and coat with the oil on both sides.
- bake 20-30 minutes, turn over and bake 10-15 minutes more until browned on both sides.
I modified this a bit, thinking that the oil was a bit much so I just sprayed them with my oil spritzer and cooked. Definately not the same as fried but good because they were probably alot lower in fat.
Sorry Chia!! Second try, with the proper stuff this time, we found the latkes to be very greasy, leaving only the taste of oil. Maybe they would be better properly deep fried rather than sitting in the oil and absorbing it for 45 minutes. Really sorry, just not to our taste.