Recipe by Girl from India
This is a wonderful Madhur Jaffrey recipe for fish. King Fish is my favourite fish and I get the freshest fish right at my door (at 9.00 a.m.)from my fish vendor named Jai Singh. It is almost as fresh as just out of the sea. Hmmm... one of the pluses of living near the sea. We have fish almost 4 days a week and I love variety so have a host of recipes that I have tried and used over and over again for 8 years now. This is definitely the top of the list.
Top Review by Tea Girl
I made this dish with pollock fillet and it came out perfectly. Hot, but not too hot. I prefer my fish not to be breaded so I was pleased to find a delicious and easy baked fish recipe. I didn't brown the fish because I find pollock to be pretty solid so there is no need to do it to keep it from falling apart.
- 900 g kingfish or 900 g cod steaks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder (cayenne)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (the original recipe says 9 tblsp)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 inch gingerroot, chopped (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin powder, divided
- 6 tomatoes, chopped (The recipe says 1 14 oz can for those who use canned tomatoes -For me the fresh ones do fine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 green chilies, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and dry the fish slices.
- Marinate the fish with the salt, turmeric and chilli powder for 1/2 an hour.
- Heat 2 tbslp oil over medium heat and when hot put in the fennel and mustard seeds As soon as the mustard seeds pop add the onions and garlic and ginger root Saute until the onions are light brown.
- Then add the 2 tsps of cumin and the green chilli.
- Stir and then add the tomatoes (and their liquid- for canned tomatoes), the rest of the cumin and the garam masala.
- Boil and then simmer covered for 15 mins on low.
- Pre heat oven to 180C Heat a little more oil in a non stick and when hot put in the fish slices and just brown all the steaks on both sides.
- Put the fish in a baking dish.
- Now just pour the sauce over and bake uncovered for 15 mins or until the fish is cooked.