1/4 Photos of Baked King Fish/ Cod in Tomato sauce
Girl from India's Note:
This is a wonderful Madhur Jaffrey recipe for fish. King Fish is my favourite fish and I get the freshest fish right at my door (at 9.00 a.m.)from my fish vendor named Jai Singh. It is almost as fresh as just out of the sea. Hmmm... one of the pluses of living near the sea. We have fish almost 4 days a week and I love variety so have a host of recipes that I have tried and used over and over again for 8 years now. This is definitely the top of the list.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 900 g kingfish or 900 g cod steaks
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (cayenne)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (the original recipe says 9 tblsp)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 inch gingerroot, chopped (optional)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder, divided
- 6 tomatoes, chopped (The recipe says 1 14 oz can for those who use canned tomatoes -For me the fresh ones do fine)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 green chilies, chopped (optional)
- 1Wash and dry the fish slices.
- 2Marinate the fish with the salt, turmeric and chilli powder for 1/2 an hour.
- 3Heat 2 tbslp oil over medium heat and when hot put in the fennel and mustard seeds As soon as the mustard seeds pop add the onions and garlic and ginger root Saute until the onions are light brown.
- 4Then add the 2 tsps of cumin and the green chilli.
- 5Stir and then add the tomatoes (and their liquid- for canned tomatoes), the rest of the cumin and the garam masala.
- 6Boil and then simmer covered for 15 mins on low.
- 7Pre heat oven to 180C Heat a little more oil in a non stick and when hot put in the fish slices and just brown all the steaks on both sides.
- 8Put the fish in a baking dish.
- 9Now just pour the sauce over and bake uncovered for 15 mins or until the fish is cooked.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked King Fish/ Cod in Tomato sauce
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.6
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: