Recipe by tigerduck
An Indian recipe from Michelin Star Chef Atul Kochhar that is easy to prepare, looks great and tastes delicious. This dessert from East India is traditionally made with milk that is cooked for a very long time. This recipe uses condensed milk as a shortcut.
Top Review by rosslare
Fantastic! The baked yogurt with sweetened condensed milk is so good! I used dried figs, doubled the sugar and added 2 tbs rose water, just because I'm on a roll with the rose water.
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk (200g)
- 7 ounces greek natural yoghurt (200g)
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 1 tablespoon raisins, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, drained
- 6 paper baking cups
figs in syrup
- 4 ripe figs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon sticks or 1 inch cassia, rind
- 1 star anise
- 1 lemon, rind of
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F Put 6 paper muffin cups into 6 small oven-proof dishes (alternatively you can use your muffin tin).
- Mix condensed milk, joghurt and cardamom with a whisk in a bowl. Fold in pistachios and roughly chopped raisins. Divide mixture into paper muffin cups. Set oven-proof dishes into a roasting tin filled with warm water up to the middle of the oven proof-dishes.
- Figs in syrup:.
- In the meantime heat 300ml water together with the sugar, the spices, the grated lemon rind and the lemon juice over low heat. When the sugar is dissolved, increase the temperature, so that the mixture simmers. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide each fig into four or six parts lengthwise and add them to the syrup. Simmer for 2 minutes and then remove pan from the heat immediately. Leave the figs to cool in the syrup.
- When the joghurt mixture in the oven is cooked through, remove individual dishes from water and let cool.
- To serve, turn out the baked yoghurt on individual plates and remove the paper cup. Place the fig parts on top or around the baked joghurt and pour a little bit of the syrup around the joghurt. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios.
- Note: I think it would be nice to heat the figs in the syrup before serving - this would create a nice contrast.