Recipe by magpie diner
Thanks to Moosewood for their version of jerk tofu, which is what this is based on. It calls for baking the tofu - I prefer to grill it on the BBQ. Grilled tofu is so delicious!! You do need to press the tofu beforehand....that 30 minutes is reflected in the prep time, you may also wish to do that well in advance and just leave it sitting in the fridge. I prefer to make this up well in advance and let the pressed tofu sit in marinade as long as possible before cooking. This can be eaten along with a variety of side dishes or salads, with a little fruit salsa or dip. Or just eat it cold the next day, it's great for the vegetarian lunch box.
Top Review by Mulligan
I can't believe it's not chicken! Seriously though, this is really good tofu! I used jalapenos (with seeds) instead of green chili because I like it a bit spicier. My hubby couldn't figure out how to grill it so he placed it on tin foil on the grill. Both of us agreed that it would have been better placed on the grill and then possibly baked after that. We used this as an appetizer. Will definately try this again. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT5-RRR.
- 12 -14 ounces firm tofu
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 fresh green chilies, seeded
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Press the tofu by placing it between two plates or baking pans. Weigh the top down with something heavy such as a tin of beans or a book. You want it heavy enough that the sides of the tofu bulge out a bit, but not so much that they split - you're just trying to press some of the water out. Let this sit for at least 30 minutes, longer if you can.
- While the tofu is pressing, make the jerk sauce by combining the rest of the ingredients in a processor or blender, puree until smooth and then set aside.
- Drain the pressed tofu and cut each cake into three slices. Stack the slices and then cut through all three layers diagonally (making an x). This will make 12 triangles from each block of tofu. If you're grilling on the BBQ, these squares might be too small to work with, so you can make larger triangles or strips.
- Gently toss the tofu in the jerk marinade. If time permits, let this sit for half an hour, longer if you can, tossing now and again.
- Oven baking - When ready to bake, place the triangles in a baking dish and bake for one hour at 400 degrees, carefully turning each piece every 20 minutes.
- Grill - Medium heat is best on the top rack so as not to burn. Grill them for about 25-30 minutes.