1/1 Photo of Baked Jam Rolls
This recipe came from a recipe booklet called "Favourite British Recipes" that I got from a very sweet Recipezaar friend. The brief introduction for this recipe states that "this baked suet pudding has a nice crisp, brown exterior with a soft jam-filled centre. Mincemeat, marmalade, or lemon curd are alternative fillings."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400° or at mark 6. Grease a large ovenproof baking dish.
- 2To make the suet pastry, mix the flour and suet together in a bowl, and mix in just sufficient cold water to make a firm (but not sticky) dough.
- 3Roll out the pastry to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface to form a strip 8 to 10 inches long. Spread a good layer of jam (warmed, if necessary) over the pastry to within 1/2 to 1 inch of the edges. Moisten the edges of the pastry, roll up carefully from a long side. Pinch the top edge to form a seal. Seal the two ends well too, to prevent jam filling from spilling out during baking.
- 4Place the jam roll in the baking dish and bake at 400° for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5Serve hot or cold. To serve, cut in slices, and serve with custard.
- 6Alternatively, the mixture can be rolled up in a floured pudding cloth and steamed for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to make Jam Roly Poly.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Jam Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 414.0
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.3 mg
- Sodium 553.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 4.6 g