Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe adapted from the PETA website who suggests serving the eggplant atop sub rolls as a sandwich. I would rather get my carbs from a side of pasta and let the eggplant shine on it's own.
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Simmer ground flax seed with water for 1 minute and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch slices and set aside.
- Combine the soy milk and egg replacer and a pinch of salt (if desired) and mix well.
- Set up a breading station with one bowl for each: flour, egg replacer mixture, and bread crumbs.
- Dredge the eggplant in flour and shake off the excess.
- Submerge the eggplant in the egg replacer mixture, shake off the excess, then coat evenly with bread crumbs.
- Place the eggplant in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is crisp on the outside and tender inside.
- To serve, top the eggplant with marinara sauce, and serve immediately.