Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
By making your own granola you can reduce the fat and increase the richness of nuts and seeds. This is great alone as a snack or on top of yogurt or anything! For the mixed nuts and seeds you can use all or a mixture of slivered almonds, coarsley chopped walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups mixed nuts or 2 cups seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 300 degrees.
- Place oven rack to center position.
- Lightly oil two large baking sheets.
- In a large bowl stir together oats with nuts, seeds and spices.
- In a small bowl stir together the warm water with maple syrup and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the syrup mixture over the nut mixture; stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Spread out on the greased baking sheet/s.
- Bake (center oven rack) for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent burning, until granola is crumbly and golden.
- Remove from oven and immediately stir in the raisins and apricots.
- When the mixture is cool, store in an airtight container for up to 5 days or refrigerate for 1 month.