Recipe by Tea Jenny
We got this a lot when we were kids, and I just love it Hope you love it too, It's the vinegar that dose it for me.
- 4 herrings fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 pint half-and-half, malt vinegar or 1⁄2 pint water
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 small onions, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean herrings, cut off heads and tails.
- Scale and bone herrings, cut down middle to give you two fillets.
- Rollup the fillets from the tail end with the skin inside.
- Place close together in an ovenproof dish.
- Pour over the vinegar/water mixture.
- Sprinkle with pickling spice.
- Place onions and bay leaves on top.
- Cover with foil and bake slowly in a warm oven for 1½ hours.
- At Gas 2, 300ºF, 150ºC.