Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
We got this a lot when we were kids, and I just love it Hope you love it too, It's the vinegar that dose it for me.
- Clean herrings, cut off heads and tails.
- Scale and bone herrings, cut down middle to give you two fillets.
- Rollup the fillets from the tail end with the skin inside.
- Place close together in an ovenproof dish.
- Pour over the vinegar/water mixture.
- Sprinkle with pickling spice.
- Place onions and bay leaves on top.
- Cover with foil and bake slowly in a warm oven for 1½ hours.
- At Gas 2, 300ºF, 150ºC.