Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can serve these tasty tomatoes on their own, as an appetiser or for a breakfast with a twist, with crispy Parma ham and scrambled eggs. These always go down well! I always go for the tastiest tomatoes grown for their flavour.
- 4 large ripe firm tomatoes
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 ounces fresh white breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil (to garnish)
- balsamic vinegar (to garnish)
- Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally and carefully remove the seeds with a teaspoon.
- Sprinkle the cut sides with salt and place cut side down on kitchen paper to remove some of the liquid - leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place the shallot, garlic, thyme, olive oil and anchovies in a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and fold in parsley, chili flakes and breadcrumbs until mixed well, season to taste.
- Spoon the mixture into the tomato cavities and bake for about 15 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.