You can serve these tasty tomatoes on their own, as an appetiser or for a breakfast with a twist, with crispy Parma ham and scrambled eggs. These always go down well! I always go for the tastiest tomatoes grown for their flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large ripe firm tomatoes
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 2 ounces fresh white breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil (to garnish)
- balsamic vinegar (to garnish)
- 1Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally and carefully remove the seeds with a teaspoon.
- 2Sprinkle the cut sides with salt and place cut side down on kitchen paper to remove some of the liquid - leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- 3Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- 4Place the shallot, garlic, thyme, olive oil and anchovies in a food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- 5Transfer to a bowl and fold in parsley, chili flakes and breadcrumbs until mixed well, season to taste.
- 6Spoon the mixture into the tomato cavities and bake for about 15 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
- 7Serve drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Herby Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.5
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 3.4 mg
- Sodium 254.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 4.1 g