1 hr 15 mins
Toby Jermain's Note:
Central Market was celebrating the Hatch chile harvest and included the recipe on which this is based in their weekly flyer. Heat level of the chiles was HIGHLY variable, though flavor was too mild. Use Poblanos for better consistency and flavor
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 8 mild hatch chiles, seeded and deveined,stems trimmed but left intact (or Poblano chiles)
- 8 ounces queso fresco, cut into ¾ x ¾ x 4 inch batons (Mexican white cheese) or 8 ounces goat cheese or 8 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups sour cream or 2 cups creme fraiche
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 oz)
- 1*Warning: Even mild Hatch chiles can be pretty warm before cooking, though they should mellow out during cooking.
- 2Wear disposable rubber gloves while handling, and wash your hands well with soap and warm water when you are done.
- 3Do not use hot Hatch chiles for this recipe unless you are a real chile-head!
- 4**Queso fresco in really too mild.
- 5Use the goat cheese even though its not authentic!
- 6Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 7Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with nonstick spray.
- 8Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- 9Add corn and salt and pepper to taste, and continue to saute until corn is done.
- 10Add cilantro, adjust seasoning, and set aside to cool.
- 11Place chiles in a heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over them, and allow to set for 15-20 minutes.
- 12Remove chiles from water, drain well, and wipe dry inside and out.
- 13Stuff chiles generously with corn mixture, pressing a piece of cheese into the center or filling.
- 14Place stuffed chiles in prepared baking dish, open side up.
- 15Stir sour cream to loosen, and pour over chiles, and bake until well heated through, about 20 minutes.
- 16Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese, and return to over for an additional 10 minutes.
- 17Serve with Mexican rice, refried beans, and hot corn tortillas.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Hatch Chile Rellenos
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 715.7
- Calories from Fat 496
- Total Fat 55.2 g
- Saturated Fat 34.3 g
- Cholesterol 140.4 mg
- Sodium 508.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: