Recipe by Kat's Mom
Dei Fratelli makes wonderful canned tomato products and this recipe was on the back of a tomato sauce label. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like great comfort food that both kids and adults would enjoy. Simple steps even a beginner can follow.
Top Review by Blakey
This recipe was strange - good flavor, but odd looking I have never "cooked" with croutons before and thought I would give it a try. My 5 yr old son helped me prepare the milk/egg mixture, and he wasnt even sure about eating the casserole. Just seeing the croutons baked in the cheese on top was not the best presentation. BUT.. once I got past that, it was okay. I used ground turkey and added some chopped garlic to the mixture. Makes a BIG dinner for hungry eaters.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 cups croutons (or use seasoned and omit Italian seasoning)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce (Dei Fratelli if you can find it)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large frying pan brown the ground beef with the chopped onion.
- Drain grease.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (I would start with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper).
- Place half of the croutons (4 cups) in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Mix the tomato sauce and the corn with the meat mixture.
- Spoon meat mixture evenly over the croutons in baking dish.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Spread remaining croutons on top.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs slightly.
- Mix milk and Italian seasoning into eggs.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture over the croutons/meat mixture.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.