Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is a classic Southern recipe for Easter or Christmas. The sweetness of the honey and molasses is cut by the bourbon and orange juice, making for a perfect glaze. Once the ham is cool and chilled, be sure to remove the fat from the drippings to save and serve with the leftovers...that is one of the best parts of the recipe!
- Microwave honey and molasses in a 1 quart glass dish at high 1 minute. Whisk to blend. Whisk in bourbon, juice, and mustard.
- Remove the skin and fat from the ham. Place ham in a lightly greased 13x9 inch pan. Make 1/4 inch cuts in ham in a diamond pattern. Pour glaze over ham.
- Bake on the lower oven rack at 350° for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 140°, basting every 15 minutes with glaze.
- Remove from pan, reserving drippings. Cover ham, and chill, if desired. Chill reserved drippings.
- Remove and discard fat from the drippings. Bring drippings to a boil in a small saucepan. Serve warm with the ham.
I see by the photo you add some whole Cloves to the ham, So did too.And it was a bone-in ham I did not have O.J. on hand, the grandkids got to all of it. I use Pineapple juice and use Jack Dainels for the bourbon, but otherwise I followed the recipe. It came out "OVER THE TOP" I now have two ways to this. YOU HAVE SUCCESS!! with me. Now I can do the happy food dance!! Thank you!!! Happy Cooking to you and y'all! Grpa <br/>P.S. This would receive the Nobel Pie Prize in Food, if such an accolade existed.<br/>THAT WAS SOOO GOOD !! THAT YOU GET....6-7 STARS<br/>I am jealous because I lacking some of your skills !! You are a contributor to food world !!.<br/>THANK YOU.
I was going to post this recipe I received in a periodical I receive. I saw it was already posted.I made this for Easter. It came out tasty and moist. We used Black Strap Molasses and Southern Comfort. That is what we had on hand. Every loved it. We are already of saying we will make this recipe again the next time we bake a ham. The were also delicious. We served it on the side.
Excellent ham! We loved the flavor from the glaze. It was delicious! I ended up tenting my ham halfway through cooking because my half ham was spiral sliced and I didn't want the edges to burn. I still basted every 15 to 30 minutes. The outcome was delicious. Thank you!