Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My Mom prepared ham using this recipe for holidays or special occasions, and it always made the house smell wonderful. I remember watching her 'crack' the blanket off the ham, which both flavored it and kept it extremely moist. I've eaten it many times, but haven't made it myself yet.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 -3 teaspoon ground cloves (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- water or cider or apple juice
- 5 -6 lbs boneless ham
- Preheat oven to 350F; Make a spice dough, combining the flour, sugar, and spices in a large mixing bowl; add enough water or cider to make a stiff dough; roll until it is 1/4" thick and forms a 10x12" rectangle.
- Place the ham, fat side up, in a foil-lined open roasting pan; cover top and sides of ham with "blanket" of dough; bake at 350F for 3 hours (tent with foil if crust becomes too brown).
- Remove ham; discard "blanket" crust; let rest for 15 minutes. Slice ham; serve warm or cold.
Easily 10 STARS. The aroma is amazing and the flavour is awesome. This is my go-to recipe when I cook a ham.
I'm not sure why I haven't rated this yet! We made this several months ago and it turned out really well! So well we're making it again tomorrow evening. Thanks so much for posting! UPDATE** I tried this with a spiral cut ham and it didn't turn out very well. I suggest sticking with either cured or uncured solid ham. I've had excellent results with those.
This is one outstanding recipe. 27*. This supplies all the traditional holiday flavors without adding a lot of sugar and NO PINEAPPLE. It was easy to do even when the kitchen was hot and humid. I used sparkling apple cider as the liquid. I've done this recipe three times and it was consistently excellent all three times. Got rave reviews from every family member at Christmas dinner and everyone wanted a care package to take home. Thanks, TigerJo.