Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simplified version of a soufflé.
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk (375 ml)
- 1 tablespoon salad dressing, whipped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 cups bread, 1/2 inch cubes of day-old bread (750 ml)
- 1 cup ham, chopped (250 ml)
- 1 cup swiss cheese (250 ml) or 1 cup aged cheddar cheese, shredded (250 ml)
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salad dressing, mustard and pepper. Stir in bread cubes. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In another bowl, stir together ham and ¾ cup of the cheese.
- Stir ham mixture into bread mixture, combining well. Spoon into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover well with plastic foil, then overwrap with foil. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- To serve: Can be cooked from frozen. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180C). Bake about 20 minutes or until puffed, and egg has set. Let stand several minutes before serving.
- Serve with a salad.