Recipe by Emjay99
The preboiling of the ham and allowing it to sit in the liquid is what makes this ham exceptional. This can be done the day before and baked later when you need it. Skim liquid and use it use for stock or in pea soup. Pineapple juice can be substituted with balsamic vinegar if preferred.
- 1 bone-in ham, shoulder roast
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried whole leaf thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried whole leaf rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cloves (the spice)
- 1 cup brown brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 540 ml pineapple slices in juice, drained reserve 3 tbsp ofthe juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ham in a Dutch oven (a large pasta pot works well), add celery, carrots, onions, peppercorns, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Cover with water and boil steadily for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the liquid.
- Remove the skin and fat if necessary, score in a diamond pattern and stud with cloves.
- GLAZE: Mix together to form a paste: brown sugar, mustard powder, flour and pineapple juice.
- Place ham in roasting pan.
- Surround with pineapple slices on the bottom.
- Spread glaze over ham.
- Bake uncovered at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes.