2 hrs 30 mins
The preboiling of the ham and allowing it to sit in the liquid is what makes this ham exceptional. This can be done the day before and baked later when you need it. Skim liquid and use it use for stock or in pea soup. Pineapple juice can be substituted with balsamic vinegar if preferred.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bone-in ham, shoulder roast
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried whole leaf thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried whole leaf rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cloves (the spice)
- 1 cup brown brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 540 ml pineapple slices in juice, drained reserve 3 tbsp ofthe juice
- 1Place ham in a Dutch oven (a large pasta pot works well), add celery, carrots, onions, peppercorns, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- 2Cover with water and boil steadily for 45 minutes.
- 3Allow to cool in the liquid.
- 4Remove the skin and fat if necessary, score in a diamond pattern and stud with cloves.
- 5GLAZE: Mix together to form a paste: brown sugar, mustard powder, flour and pineapple juice.
- 6Place ham in roasting pan.
- 7Surround with pineapple slices on the bottom.
- 8Spread glaze over ham.
- 9Bake uncovered at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ham - Exceptional!
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.8
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 39.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 38.0 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pineapple slices in juice