1/1 Photo of Baked Ham and Cheese Rice Casserole
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
A simple, cheesy dish from Every Night Italian. The arborio rice gives this a lucious texture. I used grated mozzarella from a bag and it was just fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400.
- 2Fill a pot with 3 qts of water and bring to a boil; add rice and stir well.
- 3Cook covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is cooked but still firm to the bite.
- 4Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl. Toss the rice with a bit of butter to prevent grains from sticking together.
- 5While the rice is cooking, make a bechamel sauce. Heat the milk till you can see steam rising (do not boil). Melt the 4 T butter in a heavy saucepan over medium low heat.
- 6Add the flour and whisk till smooth. Add the hot milk a few tablespoons at a time at first, whisking till mixture is smooth before adding more milk.
- 7It will likely be very thick at first, but will become thinner as you whisk in more milk. As it thins, you can mix in more milk at a time.
- 8Cook, whisking constantly over medium low heat till sauce thickly coats the whisk. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- 9Pour the bechamel sauce over the rice, reserving a few spoonfuls for the top of the casserole. Add the ham and all but 2 T of the parmigiano-reggiano.
- 10Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 11Butter the bottom and sides of a 2 1/2 qt baking dish that is about 3 1/2 inches deep.
- 12Pour in half the rice mixture. Slice the mozzarella about 1/8 inch thick and layer the slices over the rice.
- 13Add the remaining rice mixture and smooth the surface with a spoon.
- 14Spread the remaining bechamel over the top and sprinkle with the remaining 2 T parmegiano-reggiano.
- 15Bake for 15 minutes. If after 15 minutes, the top is not speckled with brown, place the casserole under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, or till top begins to brown.
- 16Remove from the oven and allow to settle for about 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ham and Cheese Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 710.8
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 111.9 mg
- Sodium 1236.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 31.9 g