Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lifted off another recipe website (can't remember which one) when I was looking for low-fat recipes to make. It involves many of my favorite things all together in one dish.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (it's easier to use instant potatoes, and to make them with chicken broth instead of milk to cut calo)
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 lb cooked ham, cubed
- 2 slices low-fat cheddar cheese, crumbled (or just get some of the pre-grated in a package. Again, easier.)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix mashed potatoes and mustard (personally, I prefer to leave the mustard out, but that's just me.) Spread evenly in bottom of non-stick 8x8 baking pan.
- Add ham cubes in layer on top of potatoes.
- In electric blender, blend cottage cheese and cheddar cheese until fairly smooth. Spread over ham.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Easy to make (even making potatoes from scratch) and tastes great. I used half white potatoes and half yams. Forgot the mustard. Used ricotta cheese instead of cottage, but next time will try 1 C instead of 1/2 C, as it was too pasty and hard to spread evenly. Used shredded cheddar cheese. In the pic there's also something green in there - onions? parsley? Two of my kids gobbled it up. The sweet potato hater would have gobbled it up had I made it exactly to recipe :) Unfortunately, we only have ham once a year at Christmas, so I can make this with those leftovers.
I really enjoyed this, I have left over christmas ham and mum had brought some cottage cheese and we allways have cheddar cheese in the fridge, this is a really quick simple put together meal. Thanks For Posting. miss Pixie x x x :)
This is a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes. Mine were homemade and I had more than 2 cups, so I pressed them up the sides of the baking dish. I did use the optional mustard (Dijon) and I think it really added something special to the potatoes. My cottage cheese was low-fat, but my cheddar cheese was not. I sprinkled the top with chives. Mmmmmmm. I'll make this lots of times when I have leftover mashed potatoes. Thanx for posting.