Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A great way to fix fish, from Cooks.com.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 1⁄2 lbs haddock fillets (4)
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat and stir in flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg whisking until smooth.
- Add milk slowly, whisking to get out any lumps and make smooth.
- Add the cheese, stirring until melted.
- Place haddock in greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over haddock.
- Drizzle over sherry and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 325*F. for 45 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
This recipe is really easy (no chopping) and plates elegantly. The cream sauce itself is a little plain without the lift that it gets from the sherry. DH and I thought the dish was ok, but my parents (who were guests for dinner) really liked it. I served with Butter Steamed New Potatoes (Smordampete Nypoteter) and roasted asparagus. Made for ZWT9
Very good ! I made the recipe as directed. I was running out of sherry so I used a bit of marsala. Nice creamy dish.
I used amberjack about an inch and a half thick, but is a similar consistency and texture to cod....maybe a bit more dense, but very white and light tasting. I enjoyed my fish, but it was a bit bland.....I've got a piece left and will try it again tomorrow with some added seasoning over pasta. Thanks for sharing! Made for PRMR tag game.