1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe that I got from Bon Appetit. I just could not believe how good this was! I've always been a fan of grits, but this recipe has just taken them to a whole new level.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn grits
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup packed grated white cheddar cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups assorted fresh wild mushrooms, sliced (such as chanterelle, morel, stemmed shiitake or oyster)
- 1/2 cup country ham, matchstick-size strips
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 2Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.
- 3Bring 4 3/4 cups water and salt to boil in heavy medium pot.
- 4Add corn grits to boiling water in thin steady stream, stirring constantly.
- 5Reduce temperature and simmer grits until thick, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
- 6Pour cooked grits into large mixing bowl.
- 7Whisk in 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, grated cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons butter.
- 8Season grits to taste with pepper.
- 9Whisk in egg.
- 10Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- 11Place dish in large roasting pan.
- 12Fill roasting pan with enough hot water to come halfway up sides of baking dish.
- 13Bake until grits are firm to touch, about 45 minutes.
- 14Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 15Add assorted mushrooms, ham and minced shallot and sauté until mushrooms are tender, about 4 minutes.
- 16Add white wine and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- 17Add whipping cream and cook until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 18Stir in fresh thyme.
- 19Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- 20Spoon baked corn grits onto plates.
- 21Top with mushroom and ham mixture.
- 22Sprinkle with remaining 1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
- 23*Corngrits, also known as polenta, are available at Italian markets, natural foods stores and some supermarkets.
- 24If unavailable, substitute 1 cup regular yellow cornmeal, and simmer about 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Grits With Ham, Wild Mushrooms and Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.6
- Calories from Fat 231
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 111.8 mg
- Sodium 878.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 15.1 g