Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty sweet and sour dish that is extremely easy to make. A food processor makes short work of the grating.
- 5 medium beets
- 1 small onion
- 1 small potato
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Peel beets and shred coarsely.
- Peel and grate onion and potato.
- Stir into beets.
- In a small bowl, stir together oil, vinegar, sugar, water, salt and pepper.
- Stir into vegetable mixture.
- Place into a greased 1 quart (1 L) casserole dish.
- Cover tightly and bake in a 350F (180C) oven for 30 minutes.
- Stir once or twice during cooking.
I enjoyed this. I used olive oil to be soy free, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, plus the rest of the ingredients. I baked it in a pan covered as tightly as possible with aluminum foil. Served with a dolled up rice dish and salad! I may make this again. Made for THINK PINK RECIPE TAG EVENT - OCTOBER 2011.
This reminded me of sauerkraut, which I'm not very fond of. Dh, on the other hand, loves it and this. He gives it a strong five stars.
I didn't have quite enough beetroot so added some carrots which worked out well. Great food processor dish. My 3 year old also ate her portion in record time. That alone deserves a 5 star!