A wonderfully light breakfast (or even dessert) that could be an everyday thing, but is also nice enough to serve to guests at a brunch. I got this recipe from my great-aunt's cookbook.
- Cut grapefruits in half.
- Carefully remove fruit sections; set aside fruit skins.
- Mix grapefruit sections with grapes and berries in a small bowl.
- You can add a bit of sugar, if you'd like them sweeter. Sometimes I sprinkle them with orange juice, although if you'd like them to be very fancy, you could toss the fruit with a little bit of champagne.
- Refill grapefruit skins with berry mix.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a cold mixing bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in sugar.
- Cover fruit with merangue.
- Bake at about 500 degrees until just golden brown.
- It's easiest just to keep an eye on them until they look right; it really dos't take that long.