Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a very comforting meal. It's tasty & rich for sure. It's a nice change for dinner parties, family dinners, or just even as a pasta/spaghetti substitute. You can even make this ahead of time up to the point where it needs to be baked - you can just cover & chill until ready to bake.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package mushrooms, sliced (fresh sliced mushrooms)
- 1 lb gnocchi (fresh gnocchi)
- 1 (10 ounce) container four cheese pasta sauce (this is kept near refrigerated pasta section in grocer, it is a 4 cheese white sauce made with Gorgo)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup marinara sauce (from jar, Ragu etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute' ground beef, onion and garlic in a nonstick pan and fry gently for 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook another 5-6 minutes until the meat is browned.
- Pour in marinara sauce & bring to the boil, season with salt & pepper, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare gnocchi per package directions & drain well.
- Next, spoon half the Bolognese mixture into a large baking or casserole dish, then top with the gnocchi. Add the remaining Bolognese sauce and then spoon the formaggio cheese sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with the mozzarella to coat top.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.
This was very naughty and very yummy! I made a few adjustments for us... I used a 4oz container of 4-cheese sauce, cause I couldn't imagine my DH and I eating a 10oz by ourselves! So, I added 1 3/4 cup of marinara (Imported Barilla - so good!) and in the end added 1 tsp Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp Garlic salt and 1 tsp basil. We really enjoyed it and now we have dinner covered for tomorrow... leaving us happy to have salad for dinner the next day!
The gnocchi was interesting, too. So, thanks for sharing, I'm sure we'll be making this again!