Recipe by Chef# 616082
This is a great quick snack we make bulk, freeze in an individual layer the put in a ziplock in the freezer for our four year old. They are also great on top of a salad or in a wrap. We use the ends of our 5 grain bread so it's healthy too. The parsley adds a vitamin kick. Parmesan added to the bread crumbs for the chicken nuggets is nice for a change but not necessary and we don't use do to milk intolerance.
Top Review by kaylamae7
These were good and crunchy, I used sesame seed bread and Udi's white bread mix with the seasoning. My picky daughter didn't like then, that is why I am giving the 4 stars, but my son ate his up quickly. I made another batch with just the Udi white bread and salt and pepper for the seasoning and froze them. I will let you know if my picky daughter likes those better.
Hope they freeze well, so I can have a quick "go to" for lunches.
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (for the chicken nuggets)
- 1 teaspoon dill weed (for the fish sticks)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 chicken breasts or 1 equivalent sized piece of firm fish
- honey mustard sauce
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- tartar sauce
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet relish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 dash salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or spray with non-stick coating.
- If your chicken is fresh, freeze for 15 minutes to ease the slicing or if frozen only partially thaw. Slice the small tip off at about an inch, cut in half horizontally and then slice each half in 1/4 inch slabs vertically so you end up with about 1 inch by 1 inch slices.
- If you are using fish cut to same size.
- Blend the Italian seasoning and parsley with the bread in either a food processor or a blender until very fine crumbs. If it's sticky and doesn't want to crumb add rice flour a teaspoon at a time until it crumbs nicely.
- Put the rice flour in one shallow bowl the egg in another and the crumbs in a third.
- Dredge each piece through the rice flour to coat thoroughly then the egg than the crumbs (we like lots of crispy coating).
- Bake chicken for 10 minutes flip and bake for 5 to 10 more minutes until done. For fish 5 minutes on the first and 3 on the second is usually sufficient,.
- They reheat nicely in a toaster oven.
- We serve the chicken with the honey mustard sauce and fish with the tartar sauce.