Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
From The Complete American Illustrated Cookbook, 1980. I didn't grow up on ham but my DH loves it so I have collected a few recipes. Haven't tried any yet. He has to watch his sugar now so it's hard to make a lot of the things he liked. This only has 4 tbsp. brown sugar and 2 tbsp. honey so it's not too bad.
- 3 lbs canned ham
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 grated orange, rind of
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider or 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 6 -8 pineapple slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 -8 dark sweet cherries, canned, pitted
- Scrape jelly off the ham and reserve.
- Place ham in a baking pan.
- Melt honey and spread over surface of ham.
- Mix orange rind, mustard and brown sugar together and sprinkle over the surface of the meat.
- Pour cider or juice over the ham. Add reserved jelly from the ham to the bottom of the pan and baste gently over the ham without disturbing the sugar coating. Bake 30 minutes in preheated 400 degree oven basting after 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in frying pan and fry pineapple slice with light dusting of sugar until browned on both sides. Serve around the ham with the canned dark cherries in the center of each ring.
- Use pan liquid to make a sauce by adding water and lemon juice if too sweet.