Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe was given to me by a German lady that I worked with some time ago, it's a nice change from the usual potato salad recipe
Top Review by infogeek
This is almost exactly the same recipe that I heard on a radio program in Iowa years ago. I don't remember who called in this recipe, but it has been a favorite of our family ever since. I nearly lost my hand written recipe once, so I am so glad to find it here in case I ever misplace it again!
- 1 cup diced bacon (about 3 strips)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt (or less)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3-2⁄3 cup sugar (or less depending on how sweet you like it)
- 2⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 8 cups sliced cooked potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 3-quart baking dish.
- Fry bacon; drain drippings from skillet reserving 1/4 cup.
- Add celery, onions, salt and flour.
- Simmer, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar, vinegar, pepper and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Toss bacon and potatoes together in the baking dish.
- Pour celery mixture over top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.