Delicious garlic, onion, and cheddar cheese bread substantial enough to serve for dinner. Somewhat lower in fat than most cheese bread toppings, and almost as easy as premade garlic bread from the supermarket. Dad and kids love it. Our family prefers this made on sandwich rolls.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the oven while preheating.
- 2In a medium-size microwave-safe glass bowl, combine the garlic and olive oil. Cook on full power one minute.
- 3Stir in the onion. Cook for one minute. They will have softened somewhat but not look browned. Set aside to cool slightly while preparing the bread.
- 4Sllice the French bread (or rolls) in half lengthwise. Place on pizza stone, or directly on oven rack, cut side up. Bake 4-5 minutes to crisp before topping.
- 5Meanwhile, stir the mayonnaise and cheddar cheese into the bowl of onions and garlic.
- 6Remove bread halves from oven. Spread the cheese topping evenly over the cut sides of bread.
- 7Return the bread to the oven rack or stone, topping side up. Bake 3-5 minutes, until bubbly, melted, and golden brown in spots.
- 8Serves four for dinner, or eight servings as a side dish.
- 9For appetizer servings. slice the French bread horizontally and place slices on a baking tray. Skip the baking step before topping. Divide cheese topping evenly over slices; it will be thin.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Garlic Cheese Bread
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.0
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 47.1 mg
- Sodium 1134.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 19.8 g