Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a recipe I found in my mom's cookbook. I've never tried it but it does sound wonderful and pretty easy to make. The cooking time is an estimate, since my mother only wrote "until done".
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup nuts
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
FOR THE TOPPING
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Sift the first five ingredients together, before stirring in the nuts.
- Make a well in the centre and add the milk, vanilla and melted shortening.
- Stir lightly and pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- For the topping, beat the ingredients together and pour over the batter.
- Bake at 350 F until done.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Very chocolately. I wasn't sure if I was doing this right as I had never made anything like this before. I left out the nuts b/c I don't like them. This bakes up with a cake like layer on the top and a gooey fudgy layer on the bottom. It's like a chocolate sauce. I ended up baking this for 47 minutes b/c I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be gooey when it was done. I probably could've taken it out at 32 minutes and it would've been fine. We ate it without the whipped cream (didn't have any) and it would've been better with it. I think it would have cut the rich chocolate some. It's good, just very chocolately.