Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mother made this one for a holiday morning breakfast. Make the night before and then pop in the oven; it's fantastic!
- 9 ounces day-old French bread
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup sliced frozen strawberries
- Grease 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Diagonally cut bread into 1-inch slices and place in dish. Set aside.
- In medium bow, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Stir in milk.
- Pour mixture over bread, turning slices to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Turn bread slices over in baking dish with a spatula.
- Scatter berries over the bread, and sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into squares for serving.