Recipe by Milwaukee Girl in the South
This chicken is absolutely delicious and moist. Its' slightly sweet flavor & sauce keeps everyone asking for more. I always serve it over a bed of rice with plenty of steamed vegetables. I often substitute canned peaches for the fruit cocktail. If you desire more sauce, simply use all of the syrup from the canned fruit. It turns out much tastier if made with chicken pieces with the skin left on.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs frying chicken, cut up
- 16 ounces fruit cocktail, drained (reserve 1/2 c. syrup)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 13 X 9-inch pan, melt butter in the oven.
- In a plastic bag or large bowl with a cover, combine flour, salt, paprika and pepper.
- Shake chicken, a few pieces at a time, in flour mixture. Arrange chicken in pan, skin-side-up.
- Combine remaining ingredients with 1/2 cup of reserved syrup. DO NOT COMBINE fruit cocktail. Pour mixture over chicken pieces.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes, basting occasionally with sauce.
- Spoon fruit cocktail over chicken; sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes longer or until chicken is tender.